PDA

View Full Version : Dead second drive

andrewmc
28-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Well it started off with some playback problems and then the Tivo started to hang requiring a powering on/off to recover for a few weeks, finally GSOD and a constant reboot.

Pretty sure my swap file big enough (can't check now) and on pulling out the disks I have found that my second drive has failed, tried various tools/utils etc but they all fail and give me a warning that its on the way out so its into the bin.

Moving on, as the Tivo is out of service I have ordered another 300gb disk (same as the primary) and I believe I should be able to put both into a pc, do the mfsadd to marry the drives as I do normally and away I go.

I'm assuming its not an issue to do the mfsadd a second time to the primary (as I added the original failed second drive) and it will regig its allocations etc?

I should also be ok with the OS and hopefully will keep the shows, season passes etc that were on the primary drive? :( :( :(

thomson
28-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Moving on, as the Tivo is out of service I have ordered another 300gb disk (same as the primary) and I believe I should be able to put both into a pc, do the mfsadd to marry the drives as I do normally and away I go.
As long as it is not a Seagate 7200.9 or 7200.10 (as these do not work in a dual drive configuration)... but as you mention 300GB then I guess it is a Samsung or Western Digital.

I'm assuming its not an issue to do the mfsadd a second time to the primary (as I added the original failed second drive) and it will regig its allocations etc?

Hmm... it will be an interesting test... I can't remember it having been attempted in the past... you may end up having to reimage. You may have to try an un-marry the original drives... although if there was data on the second drive then the MFS database might get upset.

Would be a good idea to document the steps as it could help others if it works.

petestrash
30-11-2006, 02:58 AM
From past reports it will not work if the old 2nd drive is unreadable (though I may be out of date).

You can't even easily drop back to a single drive.

The simplest solution will be to re-image the new pairing.

All that said I do remember a few threads over on Dealdatabase where people had some measure of success, but it was a real effort, ugly process and was not stable. It might be enough to get some shows transferred though.

Peter.

andrewmc
30-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Well no it didn't work, as it says on a lot of sites once the drives are married they stay that way. The mfsadd came up with a warning message and said it would 'do it anyway' which has stuffed up the partition tables when I try in the tivo.

End result is I downloaded the new image and re-installed with both drives, all great .... but thats my new post.:)