PDA

View Full Version : A severe error has occured

keacam
18-11-2006, 01:30 PM
TiVo has been very stable for 2 years but recently had problems with the TiVo restarting. So decided to start again with the NZ image. Now I get "your recorder is starting up screen" followed by "Maintainace Mode" then the dreaded green "a severe error has occured" going around in loops. Have reimaged this with the same result. Could this be a failed hard drive? Whats the best next step from here? Any advice greatfully received.

DJC
18-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Definietly sounds like hardware somewhere... most likely disk. Re-image again and watch to make sure the image unpacks the full eight hunded odd megs.

Perhaps run a disk check over the disk, for example if its a segate grab the segate disktools and run a full check of the disk.

Really just a process of elimination, we know the images are good. Did a couple myself today.

Good luck.

keacam
18-11-2006, 02:35 PM
You may be onto it. Although it said the image was successfull it flashed up "error truncating MFS volume"

Since I can't hook this up to my windows box, what do you recommend to thrash out the hard drive?

DJC
18-11-2006, 02:42 PM
You should start by going to the hard disk manufacturers website and downloading their utility. Usually these are bootable disk utilities. So in the same way you imaged the disk originally, run the tests on it .. eg unhook windows disk, hook up problem disk boot from utility floopy and run tests. In some cases the manufacturers original utilities can detect and mark sectors bad, this may help.

When you have completed the testing, reboot the installer image and re-image watching the MFS restore part closely. Then fingers crossed.

keacam
18-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Well that was interesting. Seagate tells me the drive is fine. Looked a little harder at the PC thats doing the image, and find that it isn't recognising the size of the drive correctly. (Its pretty old) My main PC does but it doesn't boot up the knoppix CD, the screen goes blank after the logo page. Hence why I was using the old one.

Have you struck this one before? (Technically hasn't been a great weekend)
As allways any assistance would be appreciated.

DJC
18-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Sorry, I've never had an issue with imaging. The only suggestion I can give is to remove any peripherals you can from your main PC to see if anything removable is holding up the boot process. And perhaps check knoppix on the web and see if there are known issues/fixes with your hardware config.

petestrash
19-11-2006, 02:57 AM
Failing that try the new OzTiVo 1.6.2 image.

It allow choice of emulator (NZ) through the menus and the installer is a little more friendly to a variety of PC's that wouldn't work before.

The only thing is I'm not aware of anyone in NZ testing this image for use there, though thing like choice of emulator and NZ postcodes have been added.

Peter

Darren King
19-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Apart from what has already been suggested I can't offer any other advice except that if you still have no joy then try another hard disk. Anything from 4GB and up will do as a test hard disk.

keacam
19-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Took off across town and comendered a friends PC all went sweet TiVo indexing as we speak. (or type)
Thanks again for the assistance, it saved me buying a new hard drive.