PDA

View Full Version : Vertical lines on TV?

mr_gibbon
04-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey all,

My Tivo is giving me vertical lines on my TV screen.

They are def. coming from the Tivo as I have tested my fox STB straight to the TV without any lines showing. I have also tried S-Video and the mornal outputs to the TV, both have the lines.

Any ideas? Pretty miffed that this is showing up :(

Thanks.

Darren King
04-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Not quite sure what you mean here. Can you describe the colour/shape/etc a bit more?

Does it happen all the time? If you disconnect power from the TiVo for an hour or so and turn it back on do you see any difference?

What do the TiVo menus look like. Are these OK?

Have you ever altered the resolution setting in palmod_config?

Also, did this happen ONLY after you re-imaged (you DO mean re-imaged and NOT just redone Guided Setup?) or has this happened from day one?

mr_gibbon
04-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey Darren, Yep they are feint fine lines (white / grey ) running up and down the screen, fuzzy, thin, like some kind of vertical noise or interference. More noticable in dark parts on the screen.

Menus look fine. I have just switched it off, will see what its like in an hour and report back. I havent tried recording anything yet, will try that and check the output on my pc then as well.

Nope, re-imaged with the 1.6.1 iso this morning and havent touched any kind of config files.

Thanks Darren. I Hope we can get this sorted. :)

mr_gibbon
04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
OK, powered her back on, no difference I can still see the lines.

Recordings are not affected by the lines, crystal clear on my PC.

Sidenote: Lines are not moving around, they stay still with constant opacity.

Darren King
05-11-2006, 08:03 AM
That is a weird one for the following two reasosns:

1. If recordings look good on your PC then it rules out everything from the video input to the hard disk.

2. If menus are fine then this rules out everything from the hard disk to the video output as the background animations in the menus are purely recordings on the hard disk too.

Statement 1 and 2 use different circuitry inside the TiVo and covers pretty much everything on the board.

If you had said that menus also looked wrong then I could say it is a fault in the playback circuitry given you mention that downloading recordings to PC look OK. But menus look OK so unfortunately from a hardware technical point of view I'm stumped. It *may* be some obscure fault in the MPEG decoder chip but if it is I've never seen this behaviour before. Usually it can be narrowed down to either a definite recording or a definite playback circuit issue.

mr_gibbon
05-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Im hopefully going to get time today to move things around, to see if its a environmental issue, maybe something else in the "stack" is messing with the signal once it leaves the tivo....

petestrash
06-11-2006, 02:08 AM
As Darren has already said, most menu's have a moving background.

If it is an MPG decoding fault you should see the same lines in the moving background, but not the menu itself. So you may want to take a closer look at the background.

Peter.