PDA

View Full Version : convert mpeg

buzzboy
03-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Hi guys,
I was just wondering if there is a program of a way to convert mpegs or other popular video formats into TiVo’s native video format and then place them onto the TiVo to watch.

petestrash
04-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Try a search for 'tymplex' on dealdatabase.

Peter.

mr_gibbon
04-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey Buzz, Im a Tivo n00b myself and Ive been using Tytools and Tystudio to convert my files, then using Virtualdubmod to convert again to AVI.

Getting some nice results too!

petestrash
04-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey Buzz, Im a Tivo n00b myself

You didn't read the question properly. Buzzboy was asking about converting mpgs TO ty files to UPLOAD to the TiVo.

Not Downloading ty files and then converting to mpg/avi.

Peter.

mr_gibbon
04-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Bugger, yep sorry fellas. Over keen to help :)

mr_gibbon
07-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey matey, Ive been reading lots and looks like there is a free program called VideoraTiVoConverter which can convert Divx files to Tivo compatible mpg2 files.

Give it a go and let us know what happens!

buzzboy
08-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Firstly thanks heaps for that mr_gibbon its looks to be exactly what I need

I have converted and avi file and am ready to upload it and test it on the TiVo my problem is where do I put the movie file

I thought I would just place it in the same directory as where all my now showing movie files would be on the TiVo but I cannot find that at all

I am running 1.4 and have not extra tools loaded onto my TiVo so do I maybe need tyserver or something :S

mr_gibbon
08-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Hmmm, more reading I think.... tserver from tytools is installed on my machine, but I think it can only drag files down from the tivo, not put them up.

I'll see what I can find out.

petestrash
08-11-2006, 04:12 PM
use mfs_ftp to upload ty/tmf files

buzzboy
08-11-2006, 07:26 PM
I have used mfs_ftp to try upload the files that have been converted using the Videora TiVoConverter but mfs_ftp will not let me upload them for some reason.

I believe that Videora TiVoConverter is to be used with a TiVo 2 and creates mpegs that are compatible with TiVo 2

I have also tried to convert the mpegs that Videora TiVoConverter created with mplex but for the life of my I cant work out the program

Others may have better luck

petestrash
09-11-2006, 07:11 AM
I have used mfs_ftp to try upload the files that have been converted using the Videora TiVoConverter but mfs_ftp will not let me upload them for some reason.

Can you be a little more specific?. Does the file upload but the TiVo borks on it or does mfs_ftp not upload at all. Is there any error msg in the ftp log etc. I use mfs_ftp a lot to transfer shows between TiVo's. So if it's an mfs_ftp issue I can hopefully help.

I believe that Videora TiVoConverter is to be used with a TiVo 2 and creates mpegs that are compatible with TiVo 2

From what I understand it only supports tivo2go which can only used on S2 tivo software. It doesn't make a .ty file only an mpg that S2 TiVo's can read.

Though confirming this is difficult because the developers have no instructions and don't respond to their support forums.

Peter.

buzzboy
13-11-2006, 06:12 PM
The reason that mfs_ftp wont upload the converted files is due to the files not being compatible with the TiVo, the TiVo is rejecting them.