PDA

View Full Version : Image suitable for UK TiVo

auren
09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi folks,

Just moved back to NZ, and while looking for a job, thought it would be a good time to get my TiVo sorted for use in Auckland. Well done to all you NZ TiVo / OzTivo folks as if I hadn't found this information before leaving for NZ, the TiVo would have been sold.....

My main question is this - I have a UK Thomson TiVo running sofware version 2.5.5, with a cachecard + RAM installed, and a single, new, 250Gb drive. With this in mind which disk image iso file should I use ?

Having seen the OzTiVo upload area, I then stumbled across the NZ section of the forums, and subsequently decided to use the Thomson specific image at this location ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/install_images. However I used the version in the pre-release folder, as it had a later date (April 06 vs March 06), and didn't have "beta" in the filename.

Unfortunately it didn't work - I wasn't able to select the Thomson image for a start, but having left the swap file siz at 127Mb, it seemed to create the swap file, than gave an error after creating the file, and it was all over after less then a few minutes. Sure enough when I tried to set up the network options, the summary text file was reporting all sorts of missing files.

So after all this waffle, which is the best 1.5 image to use with a PVR10UK TiVo - the NZ specific Thomson image (beta) at the above location or OzTivo Philips, Sony or US models.

Please help.

Thanks

auren
09-08-2006, 04:01 PM
OK it seems I cannot successfully create an image of the NZ Thomson image outlined above. I have tried to burn another image at a slower speed, to no avail.

However, I have been able to successfully create a Philips OzTiVo image, and have since managed to install that on the TiVo HD. Having done that I am curious to know why the OzTiVo Maintainance splash screen says "v1.4".....I thought the version I downloaded was 1.5 - can anyone shed any light on that?

It's not very intuitive using Telnet - I hope I haven't managed to corrupt the rc.sysinit file by typing erroneous characters unawares.....(I was editing the file to correct a known issue in 1.5 with UK TiVo's only to find it wasn't v1.5 I have, or so it would appear)

Seems OK though - it boots, goes through the cachecard splash screen, and starts guided setup.

Thats as far as I can get it for now - Sky Digital to be installed tomorrow - I will hopefully finish the installation then.

Any comments welcome......

Darren King
09-08-2006, 04:13 PM
However, I have been able to successfully create a Philips OzTiVo image, and have since managed to install that on the TiVo HD. Having done that I am curious to know why the OzTiVo Maintainance splash screen says "v1.4".....I thought the version I downloaded was 1.5 - can anyone shed any light on that?

Read here:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/view/Install/KnownIssuesCurrentImageRelease

DJC
09-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Any comments welcome......

Probably would have been alot easier using the NZ philips image, all the emulator setup and the like is done, and the splash is correct.

auren
09-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Thanks Darren, Doh! Should have seen that as I skimmed that page earlier today.

DJC -I agree using the NZ image would be better - could you help me by clarifying which image/file location is the most up to date for my UK Thomson TiVo ?

For some reason, the NZ image I used gave an error at the end of the 1027M decompression as the image was being copied to the TiVo HD in my PC. Any idea why that wouldn't work ? I burned the iso file to CD using the free version of Deep Burner together with my DVD burner. Obviously the OzTiVo image worked using the same method, so I'm a bit baffled....

One other question (if you don't mind) - I notice the video input options in the "howtoguide" show composite/s-video. As mine is a UK TiVo it only has the Euro SCART inputs/outputs. Any particular option I should choose during setup in light of this, or does that not matter.

Thanks guys.

Darren King
10-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Not sure which input is applicable as it has been a while since I have treid. You will soon know when you get to the video input connection options in Guided Setup as the TiVo will do a check for a valid signal and report this.

auren
10-08-2006, 10:22 AM
OK thanks Darren

DJC
10-08-2006, 08:39 PM
DJC -I agree using the NZ image would be better - could you help me by clarifying which image/file location is the most up to date for my UK Thomson TiVo ?

The 1.5 based NZ philips and sony images have the necessary (scart) fixes to work on Thomson units.

Now, I've only worked with a thomson for short time, but I understand the NZ Thomson image currently has unpacking issues that are yet to be solved.

Jaidev was looking into this, he has a thomson unit, PM him perhaps to ask some questions there.

auren
11-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Thanks DJC - will do.

jaidev
11-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Yes that image you used has some unpacking issues that’s why I moved it to the pre-release folder. The one you should use is named nzTiVo-Thompson-Installer-BETA.iso which is in the "install_images" folder.
The reason why it has BETA in the name is because one person reported problems with it, however I know a few others have used it successfully. Discussion about it here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1050)

Our image is based off the Aus pvr10uk.255.oztivo_emulator.release1.3beta image, which can be found on our ftp site in the "/install/oztivo_mfs/" folder, with NZ specific emulator and other scripts loaded..

I will re-check the image for the Thomson unit as I will have one to setup soon and will fix it if necessary..

Try the nzTiVo-Thompson-Installer-BETA.iso image and let me know how you go..

auren
11-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks I will give it a go and report back in this thread. Good to know it's not something stupid I was doing!

One point of clarification - you say it is based on an oZTiVo 1.3 image - is the NZ Thomson Beta image you mention "only" v1.3 or is it in fact the most recent 1.5 release ?

Please let me know.

Thanks

DJC
11-08-2006, 08:13 AM
I can shed some light on that.

The NZ sony and philips images are based on OzTivo's fine work at revision 1.5. (This is version 3.0 of the TiVo system system)

The NZ thomson is based on the ozTivo 1.3 revision of the thomson software. (This is version 2.5.5 or there abouts of the TiVo system software)

auren
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the clarification DJC.

I have now tried the Thomson Beta image as suggested by jaidev. The beta file unpacks fine, but now my machine won't power up properly. I get the "Powering Up" screen, followed by the "Almost there a few more seconds please" then the screen goes blank, and thats your lot - no oZTiVo or CacheCard splash screens just 10 minutes (thats when I gave up) or more of inky blackness.....

I can Telnet into the TiVo so the networking side appears to be up and running but otherwise I'm stumped.

Any suggestions ? In the meantime I think I will download the NZ Philips image instead, and see what happens. I will check thru the forums also.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks guys.

jaidev
11-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the clarification DJC.
followed by the "Almost there a few more seconds please" then the screen goes blank, and thats your lot - no oZTiVo or CacheCard splash screens just 10 minutes (thats when I gave up) or more of inky blackness.....

Thanks guys.

Are you using Scart as the output to your TV? If you use the remote on the Tivo with the sound up can you hear the sound effects when you press the buttons on the remote, i.e. press the Tivo button, or guide button, left or right on the navigation circle.

If so then it is fine however the output is not showing on the TV.

I found on some installs you need to use RF out on the Thomson to your TV, then tune your TV into the Tivo output signal channel by searching from your TV channel setup menu's, this for the initial guided setup.

Then after guided setup you enter the Tivo "Messages and Settings menu --> Recorder and Phone settings --> Scart Settings" In this menu you need to select "RGB + PAL" some TV's need this to accept the Scart signal from the Tivo. You can also change the RF output channel from here.

You then need to enter your Sky digital box's menu system, default password is "0000" and adjust the output of the Scart to RGB..

You may need to adjust some of the other scart settings on the Tivo to get it to work correctly, but try the above first.

auren
11-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Hello Folks,

Now running the nzTiVo Philips image on my UK Thomson model. A few issues:

1. It has crashed a few times during guided setup and corrupted the image, so I have had to re-image the disk three times (so far)

2. During the first session with this image, it was controlling the Pace Sky Dig. STB fine - just now (on the third re-image) it only seemed to be sending zero's - strange. I hope that problem goes away without needing yet another re-image......

I am concerned by the "crashing" and having read many posts on this forum concerning this, I am convinced I need a Thomson specific NZ modified image. Apart from other users reporting "rock solid" performance with the Thomson image (as I am used to), I suspect I am now only getting composite video outputs, as opposed to the RGB output I was used to.

I have left the TiVo updating itself, as I want to get it out of maintainance mode before I fine tune the setup (hoping it will be more stable then)

Anyone able to help ? Please ?

jaidev
11-08-2006, 08:43 PM
See my recent post above, and let me know your results, yea reimage time again :)
Connect the RF out from the tivo and tune to a TV channel for the initial setup, you should be able to switch to Scart after setup.

If it comes down to it and nothing as above works, then you could load the oztivo thomson image and just make the small modifications required for NZ, I can guide you through it..

Bedtime... I'll check on u tom.. :)

auren
12-08-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks Jaidev. As of now, I have a fully working TiVo, based on the nzTiVo Philips image (another re-image....) It took some doing (as per my previous posts), but having re-booted a couple of times to bring it out of maintainance mode, all seems to be working, controlling the box Pace Sky box OK.

A couple of small issues:-

The animated TiVo opening sequence loses sound half way thru (not a big problem I know...)
The unit no longer responds to the standby remote command anymore (again not a big problem)

Can you tell me is my TiVo running RGB SCART inputs / outputs with the Philips image ? I would suspect not based on my own channel comparisons, but I would like to know for sure.

Here is the one million dollar question though:

In your opinion, would I be better off with the 1.3/2.5.5 Thomson image (is it worth making the change ?)

If that is the only way to get my SCARTS RGB enabled again then that would be good enough reason for me, but can I not correct that in the Philips image I have ?

I would be happier with a Thomson image (if I/we can make it work) but I just want to understand whether you think that in all honesty it is a better bet or not.

If so, I may image the old TiVo 40Gb drive (which I still have kicking around) with the nzTiVo Beta, and try your suggestions above. That way I can keep the existing image intact, and just swap the Philips image based drive back if anything goes wrong. Is there any technical reason I shouldn't do that?

If it turns out the Thomson image is OK (and you recommend it), only then would I (sigh) re-image the new 250Gb drive, which is currently running the Philips image.

Thanks for all your support. BTW if it would be quicker to have a quick phone chat, please drop me a PM and we can arrange a mutually convenient time.

Thanks Jaidev

jaidev
12-08-2006, 09:03 PM
The animated tivo opening losing sound halfway is normal, the original image is based off a US Philips Tivo so it was produced in NTSC format.

I think only the Thomson unit responds to the standby remote command, the rest you have to enter standby from the menu's.

I think your Tivo will be outputting S-Video or Composite via the scart, not RGB only the Thomson outputs true RGB.

It's entirely upto you if you want to go through the reimage process, I have only heard of a couple of installs with stability issues running a Philips image on the Thomson. You'd also then get RGB signal you want.
Out of all the Tivo's I have the Thomson is my fav.

Your best bet would be to try and reimage the 40GB drive you have with the Thomson image and see if that works, with the Thomson image there is a minimum size drive you need to restore to, I know it doesn't restore to a 30GB drive, you get the "Restore failed: First target drive too small" error.
I'm not sure what size it was created from. But give it a shot on your 40GB, if you get the error then you know the drive is to small for that image.

thomson
13-08-2006, 06:14 AM
I would also suggest trying to get the UK image working as the v2.5.5 software does not experience the event bug found in the v3.0 software on the US images.

It should also be noted that the standard UK software will default to an RF output on channel 60... which can clash with an existing broadcast (in Wellington it clashes with Prime), so you may need to change the output channel from the command line. The following script will do this, just call it with the channel number that you wish to try (I'd suggest something in the 22-38 range).

#!/tvbin/tivosh

set db [dbopen]
if {$argc == 0} {
RetryTransaction {
set lconfig [db $db open /Setup]
set ch [dbobj $lconfig get RFOutputChannel]
}
} else {
set ch [lindex $argv 0]
RetryTransaction {
dbobj $lconfig set RFOutputChannel $ch
}
}
dbclose $db

set rfo 0x8a480004
set rfo [expr $rfo|((303+($ch*8))<<4)]
set rfo [format "%#x" $rfo]

exec iicsetnosub 0xca $rfo

auren
13-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys - OK I'll give it another go. The Thomson shipped with a 40Gb drive as standard so it should image OK, unless the nzTiVo beta image is significantly bloated, which I would doubt.

One point - my Sky box is already sending RGB to the TiVo, but I suspect the TiVo is "downgrading" it to composite on the TV output, due to the Philips image (s-video is b&w as other users have reported)

I have had one or two minor crashes/lockups with the Philips image in 24 hrs, although for the most part it is OK, but the stability plus the benfit of RGB scart enabling is enough to get me wanting to give the Thomson image another try.

Fingers crossed.....I'll keep you updated.

auren
13-08-2006, 02:58 PM
OK good news - I have made progress with the Thomson image! Thanks jaidev - tuned the TV to the TiVo RF ouput, and although the SCART o/p was blank, there was the picture. Annoyingly the start up default is not channel 60, it becomes that as part of the default setup if you don't change it. This means a bit of retuning is required when it switches to channel 60 early on in the setup, but hey ho. Odd that you get the "power up" and "Almost there a few more minutes" splash screens via SCART, then no more unless you use the RF o/p......odd

I have hit my first snag - the dial out is not working. I am a little baffled by this as I used the same settings on the Philips image when setting up the cachecard+RAM (static IP, DNS, MAC & gateway) and that worked fine.

I wonder whether the nzTiVo Thomson Beta image requires updating in terms of it's port addresses for the emulator ? I will check this, although the forum guide on this says that the"NZ images are pre-configured against port 8000, as of 11/3/06 (DJC). Any clarification or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to use the ,#401 prefix, but that didn't help either.

I can use hyperterminal to access the TiVo, so I assume that means the cachecard drivers are loaded and all is OK.

I am not a PC programmer by any means, and am a bit shy of hyperterm file edits, but could manage a few.

Any hints, tips, help, or links to appropriate forum discussions (in cased I missed any) would be most welcome.

Thanks guys.

PS 40Gb drive did not work, so I am "committed" to making this work given I have now deleted the mostly working philips image.....aaaaggghhh!

auren
13-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Update - ref the dialing problems above, I have edited the tcient.conf file as per the NZ Emulator thread, editing "minnie" to "orac" (some Blakes 7 fans around here it seems:) ) and edited the IP address underneath to read 127::210.48.107.133:8000

However ths didn't work either - still can't connect. What am I doing wrong ? Do I need to place a "#" before other lines to de-activate them, or is the IP/port address I have used now out of date?

The file also contains reference to the now infamous "Dennis", along with BT UUNET numbers and "Same numbers with leading zero's". Seems like this is not required anymore, but would any of this stop the dialout over Broadband working ?
I wait with baited breath for your replies..................thanks guys.

auren
13-08-2006, 04:12 PM
and another thing.......I have played a little more - still no phone connection. After what seemed to be a very quick re-boot instigated from a hyperterm session, I removed the power to force a hard reset (may not have been the best thing to do I know..).

What I noticed (now I could see all the power up screens via the RF o/p) was that the cachecard writing/verifying/caching splash screens were missing - indeed startup was very short - just the "Powering Up" and "Just a few more minutes" grey screens before the blue GS screens appeared.

So depsite the hyperterm seesions working, I am now wondering whether the cachecard is operating - certainly the splash screens are missing and start up is very short as a result.

Does the nzTiVo Thomson Beta image contain CacheCard + RAM support ? I certainly configured the network connections before removing the drive from the machine (as with the Philips image), but as the Thomson image is based on the OzTiVo 1.3 image, maybe there's something I am missing/doing wrong, as the cachecard does not seem to working as it always has.

Hopefully over these three posts, you have enough clues as to what to suggest next........

jaidev
13-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Update - ref the dialing problems above, I have edited the tcient.conf file as per the NZ Emulator thread, editing "minnie" to "orac" (some Blakes 7 fans around here it seems:) ) and edited the IP address underneath to read 127::210.48.107.133:8000

However ths didn't work either - still can't connect. What am I doing wrong ?

I set this image up by default with Turbonet drivers as I thought a majority of users won't have the cachecard.

Fix the network card first, thats probably the most likely issue..
I think the menu options when imaging don't seem to work with the Thomson image. So from a telnet session just run the command

nic_install_tivo cachecard

this should bring up the install program for the netowrk card and prompt for its settings i.e. ip address
Then reboot and see if you can make a daily call. You will need to reverse the changes you made to 'TClient.conf' first however..

if not then...

The image is setup to use emuProxy2 which helps connections with ISP's who use transparent proxies.

The tclient.conf file this setting..
# This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy for NZ
#Server emulator on Orac
127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

And in /etc/rc.d/
The rc.sysinit.author (at the end of file) runs the emuproxy2 program

emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

I'd suggest a reboot, and then do the command 'ps x' via a telnet session, then check to see if 'emuProxy2 is running on port 8000
Then try initiate a daily call. If it doesn't work then comment out emuproxy from running in rc.sysinit.author, by putting a '#' in front of the line.

Then in tclient.conf as you have done, enter the line 127::210.48.107.133:8000
I think it is already there (third one) just comment out the first 127 line and enable the third one.

You don't have to worry about the Dennis emulator entries, Dennis is the Emulator god from tivo Canada that wrote the Emulator code.

auren
13-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks jaidev - good info. Option one at least has allowed me to connect, although I am now getting a pink cachecard screen at reboot that says something like "Cachecard driver version error", and it doesn't seem to load as before, although it is now connecting to the emulator OK.

I might be able to dig out the correct drivers supplied with the card (whichever version gives the blue spashscreen at reboot as it cycles thru writing/verifying/caching), but I now have a few more questions:

How do I get the right drivers onto the TiVo disk ?
How do I configure them - in the same way ?
Once workng, should I still carry out the ammendments you suggest in the second half of your post, just to be safe for the future ?

Pls let me know.

Thanks

jaidev
13-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Get the latest native install files from here
http://www.silicondust.com/nic_install_tivo_20050218.zip

You can FTP the drivers to the tivo.. i.e. connect to your tivo ip address via a ftp client with anonymous login.

then follow these upgrade instructions.. the network install ones.. not serial lead.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Since you are connecting to the emulator fine I don't think you need to make any further adjustments to the dialing config.

auren
14-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi jaidev - many thanks. I have tried to follow the instructions, but I am not familiar with the ftp process.....at all. I know I am bascially copying a file to my TiVo, unpacking it, and then running it's config file but I don't actually know how to do it. There is too much assumed knowledge in the instructions you suggest - sorry!

I think I managed to create directory called tmp on my TiVo disk, then I fell over at the instruction "ftp file to /tmp", which looks like a generic statement (ie replace with real file name and location) but I am not sure what to do next.

I am using hyperterminal to connect to TiVo - is that right ? Is that the program to use for ftp transfer ?

Sorry for being a bit "basic" but I am reaching the end of my dusty knowledge here.

Thanks

jaidev
14-08-2006, 05:20 PM
No hyperterminal is just for telnet (command line) access while it is possible (crudely) to transfer it would be too hard to explain.

I suggest you download a free FTP program. http://www.smartftp.com
download and install it.

Then start it up, once started you will see an Address bar:
in here enter the ip address of your tivo, and press enter

You should be connected to you tivo and be able to see folders i.e. var, hack, etc.

Double click the folder ' hack ' then on the right side if you see an existing folder called 'nic_install_tivo_xxxxx' , right click it and then select delete.
Then right click the fodler 'hack' again and select 'New' ---> 'Folder' name it something like 'cachecard'

Then click on 'FILE' --> 'Local Browser' this should open up another window pane on the right, with your local drives/folders listed.

Find the location where you downloaded nic_install_tivo_20050218.zip
extract it, you should now have a file called nic_install_tivo_20050218.cpio

Then back in Smart FTP, using the 'Local Browser' window (far right windows pane) of SmartFTP, locate the file nic_install_tivo_20050218.cpio and then drag and drop it onto the folder you created called 'cachecard' on the left side, it should then transfer this file over to the tivo in the folder /hack/cachecard

Then using hyperterminal, connect back to your tivo, and on the command line type:

cd /var/hack/cachecard

Then continue on with the instructions at step 3.

auren
14-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Thanks jaidev - you are a star!!

All done, and cachecard (incl. startup splashscreens) all working correctly - daily call connected fine.

I would just like to thank all involved in this thread for your help - much appreciated. A move to MySky has been averted.......

One small final point - the TiVo clock is showing as an hour ahead of where it should be. I am sure I have seen some mention of this on the forum somewhere, but in case I don't find it quickly, would someone mind telling me (or pointing me to the appropriate thread) to allow me to sort out his minor remaining niggle.

Thanks guys.

auren
14-08-2006, 08:05 PM
As always soldiering on trying to get to the bottom of this minor issue. Below is an output from the TiVo log file using TiVo Web, clearly showing a postcode issue as mentioned in the "emulator clock too fast?" thread. Only trouble is I don't know what postcode files to load where to correct the situation.

Strange thing is TiVo Web time is correct as shown below, where the time shown on the TiVo under the System Info screen is an hour ahead. Maybe TiVo Web timing is taken from the pc clock ?

Aug 14 22:37:06 (none) syslogd 1.3-3: restart.
Aug 14 22:48:36 (none) tnlited: Accepted connection from 192.168.1.10
Aug 14 22:48:37 (none) tnlited: New connection from 192.168.1.10 assigned pty /dev/ttyp0
Aug 14 22:49:04 (none) rtimetz[227]: rtimetz has started
Aug 14 22:49:05 (none) rtimetz[227]: Our postcode is 02113
Aug 14 22:49:05 (none) rtimetz[227]: No matching timezone for postcode 02113
Aug 14 22:49:36 (none) tnlited: 192.168.1.10//dev/ttyp0: connection closed

jaidev
15-08-2006, 02:38 PM
if you follow these instructions on the nz wiki, it should sort out the time issue.
http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/Post_Setup#Keeping_Time

auren
15-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi - I have tried the time mod (followed to the letter) - below is the ouput from Hyperterminal following the execution of "fixtivotime":-

[TiVo [p0] ~]# cd /hack/zoneinfo/Pacific
[TiVo [p0] /hack/zoneinfo/Pacific]# fixtivotime
Our postcode is 02113. Found matching timezone Pacific/Auckland
Offset 43200 for timezone NZST, daylight saving is 0
Connecting to time server 207.126.98.204
t was 3364625496 from server
t is now 1155679896
Time is 2006-08-15 22:11:36
Time set to: Tue Aug 15 22:11:36 2006
Have a nice day.
Time set to: Tue Aug 15 22:11:36 2006
Have a nice day.
[TiVo [p0] /hack/zoneinfo/Pacific]#

Unless I am missing something it all looks tickety boo to me. So why is my TiVo still exactly 1 hour fast as reported in the system information screen (23:11) ?

I don't want to manually change the time - I want it to update as it should. How can I sort this ?

Please help!

DavidClarke
15-08-2006, 07:30 PM
I am fairly sure there are multiple clocks running in a tivo and they all have to get in sync.

From somewhere else I have in my notes: if you see that the current time is wrong (type DATE at a bash prompt to check or simply look at the top of screen channel banner when you change channels) then go into TiVoWEB, force a daily call and then after you see the "Succeeded" message reboot the TiVo. Check that the time is now correct.

Or, when you get a warped clock, you had the option of:

[TiVo [p0] ~]# touch /var/timestamp
?[TiVo [p0] ~]# /hack/bin/force_index.tcl

Which I assumed aligned the clocks and re-indexed the database. Also worth a try. If you use force_index.tcl, its non-destructive but will take 30 mins to have any effect. Might work again here.

Or, try /bin/ntpdate -v -v -v -s 210.48.107.133

Some or none of these might work, and have worked for me in the past.

jaidev
15-08-2006, 07:35 PM
ok that's strange, never seen that before. That's should have fixed it, so the gui clock and guide data are 1hr out? i.e. ahead?
Hmm not sure why tivoapp is reporting and hr out..

It's possible that since the timezone was out, and your tivo was reporting no matching timezone for the postcode it could have messed with the guide data load.

Any ideas Thompson?

I guess a clear and delete all, and repeat of Guided setup will fix it.. Since now your network and timezone/postcode files are setup as they should be, shouldn't take long..

thomson
15-08-2006, 07:57 PM
So why is my TiVo still exactly 1 hour fast as reported in the system information screen (23:11) ?

I don't want to manually change the time - I want it to update as it should. How can I sort this ?

Hehe... what would you do without me :) I think your problem may be the TiVo's TimeZone and DaylightSavingsPolicy settings. You can view the setting of these by browsing http://tivo-ip-address/mfs/Setup. They should both be 0 (zero). If they are not then you may wish to run the following:

dbsetx /Setup TimeZone 0
dbsetx /Setup DaylightSavingsPolicy 0

auren
15-08-2006, 08:35 PM
All - thanks for the replies.

Dave - I am in the middle of trying your suggestions. So far "Date" at the bash prompt gives the correct date and time (see below), though rebooting after a successful daily call didn't change anything.

I have tried the timestamp and force_index commands and am just waiting the 30 minutes or so you suggest before checking again.

I have copied the telnet response to the "Date" and "/bin/ntpdate -v -v -v -s 210.48.107.133" commands you suggested below:

[TiVo [p1] ~]# date
Tue Aug 15 23:26:16 localtime 2006
[TiVo [p1] ~]# /bin/ntpdate -v -v -v -s 210.48.107.133
[TiVo [p1] ~]# Time set to: Tue Aug 15 23:26:39 2006
Have a nice day

mmmmmm!

Also noticed that the time of the guide telephone calls IS correct, it's just the time in the channel banner/system info screen that is 1 hour fast.

Jaidev - Thanks for checking up on me again... Yes it's one hour fast - not sure why. Like Thomson I thought it may be DS or Timezone setting but had no idea how to change it. I will probably try a "delete all" restart if nothing else works first.

Thomson - Thanks for your post. Unfortunatley, unless I misunderstood your suggestion (I used Tivo Web to browse to MFS / setup), there are no TimeZone or DaylightSavings entries in the setp file...at all

If I am being silly, and have not "browsed" as you intended please let me know, otherwise.........what now ?

I hope there is enough evidence in this post for the better minds amongst you....left mine behind weeks ago!!

thomson
15-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Thomson - Thanks for your post. Unfortunatley, unless I misunderstood your suggestion (I used Tivo Web to browse to MFS / setup), there are no TimeZone or DaylightSavings entries in the setp file...at all

If you are running the v2.5.5 software (ie if your TiVo onscreen menus are blue) then it's safe enough to just run those two dbsetx commands, and all your time issues are likely to go away :)

jaidev
15-08-2006, 08:50 PM

You will need to run both the commands that Thomson suggested in your Telnet session..
dbsetx /Setup TimeZone 0

Thanks Thomson for reminding me.. :)

auren
15-08-2006, 08:56 PM
......and they just have!! Time is now correct. Thanks Thomson - help much appreciated. Your confident post had me hoping (particularly as we are running the same machine and s/w ver.) and I was obviously just bashing away with your commands in a Telnet session, as your were replying to my last post.

Being paranoid I have even re-checked the Setup file and the two new settings are now there.

Excellent - well done to all.

Off to bed now, although I will force yet another GS call to see if the clock carries on behaving itself.

Any problems I will report back, but otherwise it's about time I rolled my sleeves up and got stuck into a bit of TV guide data preperation.

TTFN

finethen
16-08-2006, 05:46 PM
and decided to redo the image on my Thomson with the "nzTiVo-Thompson-Installer-BETA.iso" and run it using its own tuner and delete the Video player as set top box and Philips image it is currently using. I have had exactly the same problem with connecting using a turbonet card and have followed Jaidevs instructions
The tclient.conf file this setting..
# This uses emuProxy2 to avoid problems with transparent proxy for NZ
#Server emulator on Orac
127::127.0.0.1:8000:::

And in /etc/rc.d/
The rc.sysinit.author (at the end of file) runs the emuproxy2 program

emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &

I'd suggest a reboot, and then do the command 'ps x' via a telnet session, then check to see if 'emuProxy2 is running on port 8000
Then try initiate a daily call. If it doesn't work then comment out emuproxy from running in rc.sysinit.author, by putting a '#' in front of the line.

Then in tclient.conf as you have done, enter the line 127::210.48.107.133:8000
I think it is already there (third one) just comment out the first 127 line and enable the third one.

to the letter, this has provided to date the (Failed. Number Unavailable) message during Guided Setup. Did you meet success with these instructions auren? My tclient.conf file also had a whole pile of UK phone numbers.

I have a Philips S1 with cachecard on the same network will this be affecting the connection? it didnt previously when both TiVo's used the same image.

Could I just copy the tclient.conf file from the other TiVo using ftp and succeed? I tried it last night and it connected but failed to import and expand data.

Any Help?

auren
16-08-2006, 07:41 PM
I followed the instructions in the following thread http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=959 and edited my tclient.conf file in line with that. I still had connection problems not because of the issue you have, but because the cachecard was not configured by default in the nzThomson image (turbonet is default I believe) and it worked fine for me once I configured the cachecard.

Did you run the turbonet setup and have it configure your card (ie static IP address, subnet, gateway etc)

If you edit your tclient file in line with the above post, and your turbonet card is configured correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.

Can anyone else help further as I am no expert on this......by any means. Keep us up to date on your progress finethen.

jaidev
16-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Could I just copy the tclient.conf file from the other TiVo using ftp and succeed? I tried it last night and it connected but failed to import and expand data.
Any Help?

If you are able to telnet to your tivo then the network card is working fine.

Make sure the ,#401 dialling code is in the phone dialling options.

So you did connect to the port 8000 emulator sucessfully after copying the tclient.conf over?
Does your other tivo connect to the port 80 legacy emulator? If so this is why it's failing a UK Tivo image will not successfully pass a guided setup from the port 80 emulator, you need to change the 127:: entery in your tclient.conf on the UK Thomson tivo to port 8000

The image by default uses emuProxy2, which part of the instructions did you follow have you disabled emyProxy2?
if so have you enabled the 127::210.48.107.133:8000 line in tclient.conf?
and commented out the 127::127.0.0.1:8000::: line?

finethen
17-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks to both of you for the replies, auren thanks for your tip I was using a useful but slightly less relevant setup with pictures on the NZTivo site and have swapped to the faithful Ed thread.

Jaidev thanks for your help bro heres my answers

If you are able to telnet to your tivo then the network card is working fine. Yes networking is fine

Make sure the ,#401 dialling code is in the phone dialling options. Yes now changed during guided setup

So you did connect to the port 8000 emulator sucessfully after copying the tclient.conf over? Yes but it would not expand the data and failed
Does your other tivo connect to the port 80 legacy emulator? If so this is why it's failing a UK Tivo image will not successfully pass a guided setup from the port 80 emulator, you need to change the 127:: entery in your tclient.conf on the UK Thomson tivo to port 8000 No it will not connect to port 80 emulator, yes I have changed to the port 8000 emulator as per instructions

The image by default uses emuProxy2, which part of the instructions did you follow have you disabled emyProxy2?
if so have you enabled the 127::210.48.107.133:8000 line in tclient.conf?
and commented out the 127::127.0.0.1:8000::: line?
I have enabled 127::210.48.107.133:8000 in tclient.conf, added the 127::127.0.0.1:8000 in tclient.conf. and altered rc.sysinit.author with the line emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 &. So far I have run with all combinations of 127::127.0.0.1:8000::: commented out and the emuProxy line commented out. and also with both enabled and 127::210.48.107.133:8000 commented out

I ran etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author by accident when editing and at the end of the string it said

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: emuProxy2: command not found

No sign of emuProxy2 running after telneting back in.

So probably still need a few hints, I have tried disconnecting the other TiVo as well.

Appreciate any other leads, thanks for your help :)

finethen
17-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Last part of text from Tclient Log

08/17:21:44:39: /tvbin/TClient: About to connect to 210.48.107.133:8000
08/17:21:44:39: /tvbin/TClient: Executing HTTP command: /tvbin/http_post /var/log/svclog http://210.48.107.133:8000/tivo-service/mlog.cgi OFF OFF ON
08/17:21:44:40: /tvbin/TClient: Failed while POSTing downloaded files stats: child killed: segmentation violation
08/17:21:44:40: /tvbin/TClient: about to do TCD411 Call
08/17:21:44:40: /tvbin/TClient: Executing HTTP command: /tvbin/tclient_post 210.48.107.133:8000 /var/tmp/TCD411.send /var/tmp/TCD411.recv 300 ON
08/17:21:44:41: /tvbin/TClient: http POST command failed: child killed: segmentation violation
08/17:21:44:41: /tvbin/TClient: doHttpCall returned: 0
08/17:21:44:41: /tvbin/TClient: Connect/POST has failed, we've warned the user, set status to Failed
08/17:21:44:41: /tvbin/TClient: failed connect - aborting
08/17:21:44:41: /tvbin/TClient: Will kill pppd
08/17:21:44:47: /tvbin/TClient: updateStatus: Failed ST| 33 14
Saving 'ST|14' to result file
08/17:21:44:47: /tvbin/TClient: writing Failed to LastCallStatus
08/17:21:44:48: /tvbin/TClient: SendDialupEvent 30 9 EX|14
08/17:21:44:48: /tvbin/TClient: TClient login: 1
08/17:21:44:48: /tvbin/TClient: TClient backhaulDone: 0

jaidev
18-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Well it seems you are connecting fine.

emuproxy2 is used if your ISP is using a transparent proxy. You can download it by ftping to orac.caffeine.co.nz it is in the /install folder.

FTP emuproxy2 to your tivo to the /var/hack/bin folder.

If you are going to use emuproxy2 then you need to comment out the 127::210.48.107.133:8000 line in tclient.conf

If you are NOT using emuproxy2 then you need to comment out the
127::127.0.0.1:8000::: line in tclient.conf and enable the 127::210.48.107.133:8000 line.

And comment out the emuProxy2 -s 210.48.107.133 -p 8000 & line in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

The "segmentation violation" could point to a hardware failure (i.e. turbonet)

finethen
18-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks Jaidev, I will try swapping to the cachecard in the other TiVo first to check if its the hardware. The machine seems to go into repetitive reboot mode if I use the NZTiVo Philips image so I will persevere with the Thomson image

jaidev
19-08-2006, 01:29 PM
ok try that, we suspect it may be a corrupt software config, or hardware, possibly try downloading and upgrade your turbonet drivers again.

Do a md5sum against your downloaded turbonet drivers
http://www.silicondust.com/md5sum_20050218.txt

finethen
20-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Tried the cachecard same response "Failed. Number unavailable"

Might just try a new image download, there is a wee message at the end of image restore before the succeeded message comes up that says restore has failed, I'm picking that happens to everyone?

I will try the MD5 Option and report back. Thanks once again for your ongoing assistance. I will send you one of my children as payment...... on second thoughts .....

finethen
20-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Well wrote the image using a different machine and presto I am past the Setup call, thanks Jaidev it was a software issue I should have taken notice of the error after writing the image, and rewritten on another machine.

I now have a TiVo running with the Dunedin channels I am sure that is easily solved. Thanks for your work with the image I am pleased to finally use the Thomson with its own tuner.

finethen
21-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Jaidev, just one last question, can one type in a postal code that will bring up the Auckland FTA channels during GS? If not what is the easiest way to setup for Auckland with

2 55.250 TV 1
4 175.250 TV 2
7 196.250 TV 3
9 210.250 C4
41 631.250 Triangle
43 647.250 Maori TV
57 679.250 Juice TV
59 775.250 Prime TV
62 799.250 Alt TV

Thanks I promise I wont hassle till I reimage again.

DJC
21-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Pending jaidev's response, this is the Auckland lineup on the FTA postcode 02112

# Auckland FTA
TV1-AKL 2
TV2-AKL 4
TV3-AKL 7
C4-AKL 9
TriTV-A41 41
TriTV-A42 42
Prime-AKL 59
Juice-AKL 57
Maori-AKL 43
TAB-AKL 55
AltTV-AKL 62
#Ends

finethen
21-08-2006, 09:57 PM
thanks for that, 02112 has so far at different times generated the Dunedin FTA channels and the no data for that postcode during GS , any tips? Might try a new image.

finethen
22-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Nope, still showing Dunedin, at what point does one tell the Guided Setup for the Thomson one lives in Auckland? Maybe I should put on three quarter pants, wear my sunglasses on my forehead and sit in a Porsche Cayenne and then try? I will remove the scarf and track pants, TiVo still thinks I am in Dunedin!!

DanielParker
22-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Just so you dont think you are crazy.. mine does exactly the same, from the latest beta image.

finethen
22-08-2006, 05:49 PM
Heya Daniel, thanks for the affirmation, I am missing brain cells but not that many. So you have a Thomson with the beta image as well and you are trying to get the current Auckland FTA channels running on the TiVo's tuner? I think we are being punished for having 10 FTA channels and not living in Dunedin? Someone will drop us a hint as to where we are going wrong. There must be a manual method of inserting the FULL up to date Auckland channel lineup? Can anyone assist with a hint or two, cant wait to consign the Phillips VCR (STB) to the bin permanently.

jaidev
23-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Hmmm, mine is GS'd against 02113, Will check out what ukchan module is in that image.. It'd just be a case of compiling a custom one..
Since my linux boxem are down at the mo, Thomson maybe able to help me out (cheers bud dunno what we'd do without ya) :P

Hmmmmmm however it's at the point of GS you are not getting a Auckland lineup, does it show Auckland if you pick "Cable, No cablebox" with postcode 02112?

thomson
23-08-2006, 07:51 PM
2 55.250 TV 1
4 175.250 TV 2
7 196.250 TV 3
9 210.250 C4
41 631.250 Triangle
43 647.250 Maori TV
57 679.250 Juice TV
59 775.250 Prime TV
62 799.250 Alt TV
If you have any trouble getting the tuner in the UK hardware to tune into these channels then you might like to try using the attached ukchan module as it will setup the frequency table correctly and configure NICAM support. The guide data and headend information would have to be configured from the emulator as that is what would be populating the data.

jaidev
23-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Yep that module should already the one used in the image..
Try the "Cable, No cable box" during GS see if you get Auckland lineup for 02112

finethen
23-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Hiya welcome back to the thread, no Auckland does not show up as an option during GS using that combination although "Cable, No cablebox" is not shown as an option I have tried 02112 with "Aerial + Analogue cable" and it says "no cable providers etc... try another post code". Other options at that point are;

1. Aerial Only (this has been the focus of most my attempts)
2. Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial
3. Aerial + Analogue Cable
4. Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial
5. Aerial + Digital Satelitte

I am happy to keep trying options if it will assist others later, even downloading trying a new beta image is no problem as I have no guide data yet on this TiVo and the lounge TiVo continues to purr away, plus the woman in my life is happy of the attention with no TiVo in the bedroom.

finethen
23-08-2006, 08:42 PM
If you have any trouble getting the tuner in the UK hardware to tune into these channels then you might like to try using the attached ukchan module as it will setup the frequency table correctly and configure NICAM support. The guide data and headend information would have to be configured from the emulator as that is what would be populating the data.

Thanks Thomson, am I correct in thinking the frequency table should have been correctly set during reimaging by selecting NZ frequency and possibly Nicam as well when I selected dual audio?

Just have checked the channels by using the numbers on the remote and 1 is missing and the other channels are out by two or three depending on how high up they are e.g. Alt Tv is on channel 67 (should be 62) Maori is poorly tuned on 45 (should be 43) TV3 is on 9 (should be 7) so the frequency is not set correctly although Nicam is. I will try and reset with a new image first as I want to get the guided setup running smoothly and then maybe do a Thomsom setup howto for the NZTiVo site using guided setup noting the traps and tricks.

finethen
24-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Reimaged the drive again, took particular care with frequency table (NZ) and tuner type (Philips) (IS THAT CORRECT?). Same result TV1 Missing, TV2 on 6, TV3 on 9, C4 missing, Triangle on 43, Maori on 45, Juice on 61, Prime missing, Alt TV on 67.:confused: Still went straight to Dunedin settings, those channels above are selected using number pad on remote.

Thomson its been a couple of years since I've done anything manually on a TiVo and that was limited to setting up the STB codes and setting time etc. can you direct me to instructions for dummies for loading and using the file you supplied, I am onto the FTP and Telnet thing just need locations and commands.:)

Thanks

jaidev
24-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Extract the module out of the zip file, should be a file called ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o
FTP the file over to /var/hack
Telnet to tivo then type 'rw' to remount the file system into read/write
the module needs to reside in '/lib/modules' named 'ukchan-2.5.5.o'
there is already a file called that there so rename it for backup (move it) then copy the one you FTP over from /var/hack renaming it in the process
commands are as follows

rw
cd /lib/modules
mv ukchan-2.5.5.o ukchan-2.5.5.o.backup
cp /var/hack/ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o /lib/modules/ukchan-2.5.5.o
ro

then reboot

If the 02112 postcode won't work, you can try the 02113 postcode which I know has the Auckland Lineup, use Cable, No Cablebox, then when it comes to selecting the channels you receive (each channel will be listed twice one for sky digital and the other for FTA)
untick all the Sky Digital ones, and only tick the FTA channels you receive.

finethen
24-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks Jaidev for the howto, just running GS now at what point does one arrive at cable, no cable box as an option? I have as options

1. Aerial Only

finethen
24-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Ok the channel frequencies are now correct yippee, thanks Thomson for your ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o file and Jaidev for the instruction on transferring. I will work on the line up now 02113 has yielded no service so far 02112 the Dunedin lineup. More tomorrow thanks guys.:)

finethen
25-08-2006, 10:52 AM
02113, 02114 and 02115 yields the no service message? 02112 aerial + Digital Sattelite gains Dunedin FTA plus Sky Digital but no Auckland FTA Lineup. I will try removing all data first to see if we get a different answer.

jaidev
25-08-2006, 10:55 AM
You get to the Cable, no cable box option by following the Emulator setup on this link..

http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=959

# For dual source cable and satellite setups...

* Select your satellite provider as your external STB as above, Sky, Saturn and so on.
* When prompted for your cable provider select "No, I do not have a cable box"
* You will get a list of citys for which there are FTA headends. Select the right one...
* Select the corresponding service package

# Add all channels, can be changed later
# For single input users

* the screen then asks about how the box is connected, set to appropriate choice for your environment (either composite a/v in or s-video).

# For dual input users

* You will need to select the satellite box for the 1st source
* Leave the 2nd source as "Cable w/o a box - coax RF in only" ie. Antenna

finethen
25-08-2006, 12:43 PM
OK Ureka!!

I did a clear and delete before running the GS again 02113 as jaidev stated contains all channels and Tivo went through and found all FTA channels. Unfortunately they are named for sky digital. The screenshots here (http://www.nztivo.net/index.php/ImageWithScreenShots1.4) after the imaging section and the instructions here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=959) are not relevant to the Thomson Image.
So I am a little confused about some the tips from you Jaidev. I have started compiling a how to but so far its unfinished of course but I reckon we can crack it soon.

n10ct
25-08-2006, 12:48 PM
the saga..

Hi Andy, and Jaidev.

I'm at the same stage as you now andy after redoing from the new beta image for the thompson uk tivo.

after adding the nicam file and rebooting i get still the same as you.
dunedin based chanels and now im getting:

TV1 on tivo 2 - perfect
TV2 on tivo 4 - perfect
TV3 on tivo 9 - very bad reception
C4 on tivo 11 - nothing
Maori on tivo 44 - nothing
Prime on tivo 60 - nothing

so im guessing that the freq for tv3 is not correct for where i am,
yet the frequency for tv3 was perfect before the nicam file.

but not at least i also get to see channels 1 and 2 in live tv which i could not do before only tv3.

think i need to figure out how the channel freqs work properly and make a plugin for the tivoweb or just an asp page or something that will allow complete configuration. or at least complete view of configuration.

Jaidev, is there any hidden ways to make a rerun of Guided setup occur easily???

I'll give you a call if i get any further Andy.

Thanks for all your help to jaidev and thompson.

finethen
25-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Main problem with following the emulator instructions is that they dont actually relate to well to the UKTiVo prompts which are different
As an aerial only guy which one of the prompts below should I follow,

1. Aerial Only

they are not mentioned in the emulator howto, and so far I have not come across an Auckland FTA option at any stage. TiVo scans the whole channel range so thats a step ahead but is giving channels a name that relates to sky digital. The "You will get a list of citys for which there are FTA headends" is not happening .... YET.

finethen
25-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Guided Setup may not be the way to go is there a way to back door the machine?

jaidev
25-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Guided Setup may not be the way to go is there a way to back door the machine?

There is but I wouldn't recommend it, only for advanced advanced hackrs, and needs to be maintained, besides you won't get updated headends, lineup changes etc..

I'm just looking into it on my Tivo, although I'm not going to do a GS on it.
I am about a week away from having another uktivo to experiment on..

jaidev
25-08-2006, 06:38 PM
range so thats a step ahead but is giving channels a name that relates to sky digital. The "You will get a list of citys for which there are FTA headends" is not happening .... YET.

It won't matter that you are also getting a list of channels for Sky Digital, that's what the 02113 postcode is for.

I have used Aerial + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial one mine with 02113 postcode. I get the Auckland lineup with all channels duplicated for Sky Digital and FTA..
Sorry there is no 'Cable - no cable box' on the uktivo (must be all these years imaging philips/sony :) )

i.e.
1 (cab) tv1 tv1
1 (aer) tv1 tv1
2 (cab) tv2 tv2
2 (aer) tv2 tv2

Just go into Customise channels, and untick all the (cab) ones and all the (aer) ones that you dont receive.

finethen
26-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes I have managed to get that "lineup" but the channels are named against sky channels i.e Maori is Cartoon, Prime is Arts, Alt is SBO62, TV1 is TV2, TV2 is UKTV, TV3 is E, Triangle is Playhouse, C4 and Juice are missing.

I will keep experimenting and keep posting if any progress.

finethen
27-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Summary: currently using the thomson as a TVNZ machine only as TV1 and TV2 are the only channels that align with the Dunedin headend.

I have tried most combinations during Guided Setup and short of going back to the 1.3 image and using the vcr as a set top box I will await the input of those wiser than myself.

Drop a note on this thread if anyone has anything to help.

jaidev
29-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm am looking into the FTA uktivo issues.. Will let you know progress

finethen
31-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks Jaidev I await with baited breath. :)

DJC
02-09-2006, 07:16 AM
You sold off some tivos their jaidev mate...?

Whilst jaidev's working on this, 2 things

1. Where are you located?

2. What happens when you select "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"

.. For the sat, you'd get satellite sices (equivaent to 02113) for the terrestrial you'd get cable slices?

I don't have a UK so have no idea. But worth a try.

finethen
02-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Hiya DJC

1. Where are you located?

Newmarket, Auckland

2. What happens when you select "Digital Satellite + Digital Cable/Digital Terrestrial"

My recollection is I get the Sky stations repeated but with "CAB" shown next to them. I think I tried every combination with a complete reset between each one. Problem is the cable slices dont have Alt or Triangle. Channel numbers for the remaining channels could be solved by adjusting channel numbers on a STB but I would like to run this Thomson as a standalone (no STB) to clean up the installation.

DJC
02-09-2006, 10:10 AM
OK, we have temporarily repositioned Auckland on top of Dunedin ... see how you go now

finethen
02-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks, that works a treat, I appreciate the fix, I will PM n10ct as he was having the same problem. I redid GS without a reset and its found every channel and correctly numbered them.

What would us amateurs do without you guys. Have a great week!!

Yipppeeee!!!:)

catdog
01-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi all, thanks for all the "clues" in this thread for setting up a UK tivo with 2.5.5 - now I can still watch sky while recording FTA using the internal tuner :) Only one question, is it possible to get NICAM from the rf output? My TV says it outputs mono (although I can still use the output from the scart connector instead anyway).

We really need to write a full guide for setting up a UK tivo, but in the mean time here are some tips for the next person who attempts to try this (all can be found on forum, wiki etc):

- edit /etc/tclientUK.conf and change the 127: line to the emulator ip and port 8000 ( 127::210.48.107.133:8000::: ) or setup emuproxy
- edit /etc/postcodezones and add "02112 Pacific/Auckland" (Tab between number and Pacific)
- run the commands in telnet:
dbsetx /Setup TimeZone 0
- copy the ukchan-2.5.5.o module (earlier in this thread) to /hack/ and telnet:
rw
cd /lib/modules
mv ukchan-2.5.5.o ukchan-2.5.5.o.backup
cp /hack/ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o /lib/modules/ukchan-2.5.5.o
ro

More or less follow the guided setup instructions for US tivo, with a couple of changes
- Change the phone dialing options and set the prefix to ",#401" (without the quotes) to use the Turbonet card
- Use postcode 02112 for FTA (or FTA and sky)
- I had to select "aerial and satellite", because "aerial and cable" reported there were no service providers

Again thanks to everyone involved :)

thomson
01-10-2006, 05:45 PM
Only one question, is it possible to get NICAM from the rf output? My TV says it outputs mono (although I can still use the output from the scart connector instead anyway).

It is definitely NICAM. However it is probably still in PAL-I NICAM (which means the audio is at a 6MHz offset) rather than PAL-B/G NICAM (which uses a 5.5MHz offset).

This script should fix you up. I call it "set_RFOutputChannel" and if you execute it without any parameters it will get your RFOutputChannel and flick it into PAL-B/G NICAM. If you provide a channel then it will use this instead. You can run it from your rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author if you want.

There is a simpler script and the iicsetnosub binary here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?t=1139)

#!/tvbin/tivosh

set db [dbopen]
if {$argc == 0} {
RetryTransaction {
set ch [dbobj $lconfig get RFOutputChannel]
}
} else {
set ch [lindex $argv 0]
RetryTransaction {
dbobj $lconfig set RFOutputChannel $ch
}
}
dbclose $db

set rfo 0x8a480004
set rfo [expr $rfo|((303+($ch*8))<<4)]
set rfo [format "%#x" $rfo]

exec iicsetnosub 0xca $rfo

catdog
02-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Hmmm, cheers for the link thomson - my search didn't turn up that thread... guess it doesn't say stereo or NICAM anywhere! Anyway, the script successfully ran but the TV still says MONO. I even ran the more basic script and specified a new rf output channel to use - it changed ok but after tuning in the TV... still MONO! :mad:

I also found the NzStereoSupport page on the wiki, and ran "iicset4 0x88 0x10 0x00200008" without any luck. Perhaps it's just my TV being picky about something - I will try another TV to try and confirm whether it is outputting mono or nicam.

thomson
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Anyway, the script successfully ran but the TV still says MONO.
Definitely should be outputting NICAM. I use the RF Output from UK hardware running v2.5.5 and my 10yo Mitsi Diva recognises NICAM and the Amp's more than happy to distribute sound correctly to the rear channels (it's quite noticeable, particularly in ad's and shows with canned laughter).

With NICAM the left channel is an analogue mono signal and the right channel carries a digital signal (which will hiss on analogue gear). It looks like the TV may not support NICAM?