PDA

View Full Version : PVR10UK Hard Drive Upgrade and Cachecard

n10ct
11-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Hello..

I've just got a 250GB drive installed and the Cachecard from silicondust,

Ive used the image from nztivo's orac.caffeine.co.nz website, ( the non-beta ) named one, and have had it boot first time with "System Is powering up... then it looks like it reboots then tries again constantly .. OR the screen disappears then comes back then disappears again... seems odd, hard to know which of the two scenarios is actually happening at this time..

has any one else seen this behaviour?

thinking maybe the iso image was corrupt....

cheers.

:confused:

petestrash
12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Have you tried booting without the cache card to see if it will boot any further?

Did you use the standard 127mb partition swap size.

What brand and model of HDD are you using.

Has this tivo worked before, or is this a first install.

Even though this is not the cause of your current problem, make sure you fix the fault mentioned here (http://forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=7315&postcount=18) to stop other problems later.

Peter.

n10ct
13-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Have you tried booting without the cache card to see if it will boot any further?

Not yet, i'm still not sure about the image.. i'll reburn and try again.

Did you use the standard 127mb partition swap size.

Yes i did.

What brand and model of HDD are you using.

Segate Barracuda 7200 ST3250824a - its much less power consumption that most others, less than .5 of an amp vs .9 of an amp for say WD drives.

Has this tivo worked before, or is this a first install.

Yes was fine with its 40 GB drive

Even though this is not the cause of your current problem, make sure you fix the fault mentioned here to stop other problems later.

I will do this when i get it up and running.

Hmnn seems that when the drive is reburned there is a Image error at the last part of it ie 99% says there is some error with image...

i need to make sure im using the correct image, can someone give me the path to the correct image, ie ftp://orac.caffeine.co.nz/...

the beta image doesnt seem to boot at all, and the non beta boots but has that error at the end..

Thanks for your help!

n10ct
13-07-2006, 03:31 PM
It was the image that was the problem,.. boots fine now and have got to guided setup...

I can use tivo web to control it but i can't putty to it, seems strange I thought that telnet would be enabled by default, how can I enable telnet ? remotely, I cant see anything on the tivo web interface that will help with that.

Thanks for your help

SeanOffShotgun
13-07-2006, 04:22 PM
What's the symptoms?

Using PuTTY to connect to my TiVo I had to un-set the following connection / telnet setting:

'Return key sends Telnet New Line instead of ^M'

petestrash
14-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I can use tivo web to control it but i can't putty to it, seems strange I thought that telnet would be enabled by default, how can I enable telnet ? remotely, I cant see anything on the tivo web interface that will help with that.

Did you fix the rc.sysinit.author (http://forums.oztivo.net/showpost.php?p=7315&postcount=18) problem I pointed out earlier ?

Peter.

n10ct
15-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Hello.el

Okay the change you mentioned doesnt exit in the image ive used, the NZtivo image has scartmux.tcl instead...

tivoweb works perfectly... but telnet is not possible, connection does not get accepted.
doing a port scan on the tivo shows it has only 21 for ftp and 80 for http open.

no telnet client is able to connect obviously.

using the nztivo image knoppix cd, booting from the cd with the new tivo HD in a pc, i can access the drive and edit the rc.sysint etc but ive been unable to find definitive instructions for checking telnet installation, i believe it uses tnlited.

*sigh so close yet so far...

petestrash
15-07-2006, 02:46 PM
On the OzTiVo image it is started by rc.sysinit around line 618 with other OzTiVo hacks.

Peter.

n10ct
17-07-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi Pete,

thanks for you help, it seems tha after another reimage process it all works fine, so i cant figure that out, but hey it all running now.

seems channel daata etc has come down okay witht eport 800 emulator, only trouble im having now is that it e you seen this behavavseem that i can only use live tv on one channel, for the others it brings up the typical tivo error message that usually flicks up two r three times in a few seconds before it actually shows the one channel that does show in live tv. It says that there maybe a connection problem, check your cables, your aerial and try plugging in directly or rebooting the tivo... which of course makes no difference...

have you seen this behaviour?

cheers, and again many thanks for your assistance!

thomson
17-07-2006, 06:58 PM
i can only use live tv on one channel, for the others it brings up the typical tivo error message that usually flicks up two r three times in a few seconds before it actually shows the one channel that does show in live tv.

Have you checked all channels/frequencies. It is different in various parts of the country, but in Wellington TV1 is on channel 1, TV2 is on channel 5, TV3 on 11, C4 on 2, Prime on 60, and MaoriTV on 44. I am not sure what channels the headends are using. You may need to remap the frequencies using ChannelMap or fine tuning via palmod (or ukchan if you have UK hardware). I have a friend currently getting a tuner installed and setting it up against the 8000 emulator so will know a little more details about what could be required in a week or two (however he is doing this on a US TiVo so the process will be a little different).

petestrash
17-07-2006, 07:04 PM
The UK TiVo tuner requires a strong signal for it to allow reception. Even if you get nice clear pictures on a TV this does not mean it's good enough for a TiVo. If your TV only has an average picture, chances are your TiVo is not going to work 100%. In that case you may need to install a signal amplifier or adjust your aerial / cabling.

The other thing is it may not be tuned for your location. You have not entered any city or country into your visible profile. If you are not in Wellington or Auckland, the local frequencies may be different for your area.

Peter.

n10ct
01-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,

thanks for your input..

Actullay looking at the channels listed in the interface it actuallyhas them all listed as Dunedin for some reason.

Auckland is where i am at, so i guess one of these tuner tools will be the thing to do.. is UKCHAN the correct one to use? i assume it wont be in the oztivo image by default?

Cheers.

thomson
01-08-2006, 03:49 PM
is UKCHAN the correct one to use? i assume it wont be in the oztivo image by default?

"ukchan" is the correct kernel module, and it should be on both the OzTivo and NZ image.

n10ct
01-08-2006, 05:35 PM
are there some instructions for how to do this mod?
i cant find ukchan.

cheers.

n10ct
01-08-2006, 05:57 PM
finally found some guff on it..
and it was your guff too.. haha

so is the stuff in
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=5857

the correct way to go still?

thanks.

thomson
01-08-2006, 06:48 PM
so is the stuff in
http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread.php?p=5857
the correct way to go still?

Pretty much, but it should actually be in the images. You can also find a version here (http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/old/palmod/uk/2.5.5-nz/)

n10ct
02-08-2006, 04:10 PM
well, ive loaded all the files to the tivo, but im a wintel techie not had much to do with linux compiling!

I have the UK Tivo, and a Thomson Scenium 61" screen that has oodles of the scart connectors, so should be the best ukchan file to use?

What do i have to do to compile it ?

::::

[TiVo [p0] /var/hack/UKChan]# ls
Makefile ukchan-2.5.5_dk-nicam.o
bin ukchan-2.5.5_dk-nicam.zip
include ukchan-gcc
ukchan-2.5.5_dk-nicam.c
[TiVo [p0] /var/hack/UKChan]#
[TiVo [p0] /var/hack/UKChan]# ./bin/make
gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I./include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mcpu=403 -msoft-float -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -DNZTVCHANNELS -DNICAMSTEREOMODE -c -o ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o ukchan-2.5.5_nz.c
gcc: ukchan-2.5.5_nz.c: No such file or directory
gcc: No input files
make: *** [ukchan-2.5.5_dk-nicam.o] Error 1

:::

what am i not doing...

heh, pity your not on MSN or something!

Cheers and thankyou for your patience Thomson! ;)

thomson
03-08-2006, 05:46 PM
What do i have to do to compile it ?

You don't need to compile it... there is a compiled version here (http://minnie.tuhs.org/TiVo/files/old/palmod/uk/2.5.5-nz/) that should work okay.

n10ct
03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
okay, got that file, but what do i have to do to instigate its use?

thomson
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
okay, got that file, but what do i have to do to instigate its use?
"insmod ukchan.o" should do it...

n10ct
04-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Hey mate,

i dont suppose there is a guide for this?
1 step at a time is driving me nuts doing a little piece each night... hahah

ive installed the mod, and rebooted the tivo and there is no change, so i suspect i need to re run uided setup? and redo the channels? or not?

cheers.

otherwise... msn: if you have the time: n10cte@hotmail.com

thomson
04-08-2006, 06:31 PM
i dont suppose there is a guide for this?
1 step at a time is driving me nuts doing a little piece each night...

What are you trying to achieve? What image are you running and what problem are you trying to solve? None if this should be required if you are using one of the standard images. The manual setup of ukchan.o is just required if you are using the standard UK image that comes on UK TiVo's.

ive installed the mod, and rebooted the tivo and there is no change, so i suspect i need to re run uided setup? and redo the channels? or not?
You can check the modules that are loaded using 'lsmod'. If there is no ukchan.o loaded and you are having trouble tuning to channels then you can use 'insmod ukchan.o' and then try changing channels again.

n10ct
04-08-2006, 08:33 PM
I am using nztivo image from orac.caffeine.co.nz

What i want is a tivo that will allow me to use live tv and thus record on channels other than TV3 which is all im able to get...

everything else seems to run just beautifully.

n10ct
05-08-2006, 05:47 AM
[TiVo [p0] ~]# lsmod
turbonet2 10552 1
mixaud 5872 1
scartmux 2628 1
ukchan-2.5.5 1336 0 (unused)
pxmpegdecode 65260 0 [scartmux]
therm 1164 0 (unused)
fan 976 0
ideturbo 4920 0 (unused)
fpga7114 146156 5 [scartmux ukchan-2.5.5]
i2c 10480 0 [scartmux ukchan-2.5.5 pxmpegdecode therm fpga7114]

thomson
05-08-2006, 01:06 PM
[TiVo [p0] ~]# lsmod
turbonet2 10552 1
mixaud 5872 1
scartmux 2628 1
therm 1164 0 (unused)
fan 976 0
ideturbo 4920 0 (unused)
Okay. It looks like you are running the US v3.0 software, and not the UK v2.5.5 software. The ukchan-2.5.5.o module will probably not work with this software... in fact I am surprised it even loads?

You probably just want the ukchan.o module that came with the image? I don't know much about getting the US (v3.0) software working on the UK hardware.

n10ct
05-08-2006, 04:40 PM
okay now im confused...

i used the nztivo image from ftp.orac.caffeine.co.nz

it is version 2.5.5-01010023

this info is verified in the System Info page on the tivo.

im not sure why you think its the us 3?

im happy to start from scratch if you have a better image/process that i can follow, if you dont think this image is right...

... and it was all looking so good. haha
thanks for your time, it is appreciated.

thomson
05-08-2006, 05:01 PM
i used the nztivo image from ftp.orac.caffeine.co.nz
it is version 2.5.5-01010023

Sorry, my mistake, I got things mixed up when comparing the listings against mine. I have an ax88976 network driver rather than a turbonet2. The scartmux definitely means it's a 2.5.5 install.

Considering its a 2.5.5 install, there should not be any problems with the tuner when running the ukchan module. I have attached a module I created a couple of years ago which should work and correctly configure NICAM support. If you have the rmmod command you could do the following to load it:

# rmmod ukchan-2.5.5
# insmod ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o

n10ct
05-08-2006, 05:25 PM
can you attach rmmod for me? i cant find that anywhere... as a file.

thomson
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
can you attach rmmod for me? i cant find that anywhere... as a file.
It's actually the same binary as insmod. So you just need to create a sumbolic link:

# rw
# cd /sbin
# ln -s insmod rmmod

n10ct
05-08-2006, 07:40 PM
okay...

that gives me :

[TiVo [p0] ~]# lsmod
turbonet2 10552 1
mixaud 5872 1
scartmux 2628 1
therm 1164 0 (unused)
fan 976 0
ideturbo 4920 0 (unused)

i still see ukchan-2.5.5 up there and the rmmod instigated a tivo reboot also... is that correct?

still i get only tv2 show up in live tv, do i need to rerun the guided setup?
or is there and easy way of doing this... somehow..

thomson
05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
i still see ukchan-2.5.5 up there and the rmmod instigated a tivo reboot also... is that correct?

You should see ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam displayed if the module is loaded correctly. You might like to try the rmmod and insmod thing again... rmmod is less likely to reboot the tivo if it is in a menu screen. Failing this you could alter the startup script (either rc.sysinit or rc.sysinit.author) to load up the ukchan-2.5.5_nz-nicam.o rather than ukchan.o, I don't use an emulator so I can't help out much with the GS... but I doubt if you need to run through it again.

n10ct
06-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Well.. did that in rc.sysint..
commendted out uk chan and added in the nz nicam one.

killed the tivo, wont boot anymore, cant ftp or telnet to it, just boots to grey screen.

*sigh...

you dont use a emulator? so do you only use it for manual recording?
.... maybe the image i downloaded from orac.caffeine.co.nz was not the right image... i dont know, any other ideas?

thomson
06-08-2006, 05:54 PM
killed the tivo, wont boot anymore, cant ftp or telnet to it, just boots to grey screen.
At this point you can use a serial console cable or a boot CD to correct the rc.sysinit file. Chances are there is a typo in it, or it has Ctrl-M's at the end of each line... if you edited the file on a PC then the chances are there are Ctrl-M's in it. You can check with 'cat -e', and use the dos2unix utility to remove them.

you dont use a emulator? so do you only use it for manual recording?
I use to just do manual recordings... but this changed when I finally got an Internet connection :) Since then I have been "rolling" my own guide data. It's pretty basic and no where near as fancy as the emulators, but suits my purpose and gives me the ability to do handy stuff like produce predicted data.

... maybe the image i downloaded from orac.caffeine.co.nz was not the right image... i dont know, any other ideas?
I would have thought the images would be fine and just work. It would be worth having a look at the frequencies of the channels that you can receive and compare those against the ones that you do not. If the channels you receive are in the following list then it's a good indication that the ukchan module in the image is the Australian version...

The only Australian channels that match the New Zealand frequencies are 175.250MHz (AU=6, NZ=4); 182.250MHz (AU=7, NZ=5); 189.250MHz (AU=8, NZ=6); 196.250MHz (AU=9, NZ=7); 527.250MHz (AU=28, NZ=28); 591.250MHz (AU=36, NZ=36); 639.250MHz (AU=44, NZ=42); 695.250MHz (AU=52, NZ=49); 751.250MHz (AU=60, NZ=56).