PDA

View Full Version : subtitles

timmy
15-05-2004, 11:42 PM
..late night rant

anyone else find it annoying we don't have subtitles (captioning) on sky. Fast-forwarding with subtitles would be goood methinks :cool:

I know there is a public quoto for captioning in NZ on the broadcasted channels which are carried by sky yet the captioning service isn't provided.

doh, is it too much to ask for teletext online? hehe

hmm would using teletext data be more of a violation than Sky's guide data? Personally I think sky is crap for trying to claim it as their own. stupid... In reality if the channel themselves provide the information such is the case with BBC then they obviously don't own it. BBC is forward thinking in that aspect as with their efforts to make parts of their archive available online. anyway... there are all sorts of political questions with that presumeably.

hmm I see there were some emails on oztivo mailing list by Peter Vogel. Peter has been on oztivo for around 6 months (probably more) I would guess, he started out not knowing alot about tivo but seems to be pretty clued up these days. Obviously he's been a busy little beaver.

"ZapTV will soon be launching a PVR product and service in Australia. We are seeking contractors or staff for our EPG software development/production team. I thought some of the guys on this list who have been working with EPGs might have relevant experience and interest." -- Please contact me offlist or on the phone number below <snip>

Anyway, the website (http://icetv.info/) is ur typical media presentation ala check a few months later from news site for confirmed vapourware (cynic eh). Does describe some interesting features tho, Apparently seamless advert removal and full EPG support. I haven't heard much talk on oztivo about the implementation of these features so I have no idea what he has up his sleave but seems to be pushing it to the legal limit tho u think? I know replaytv got burned for this... he even mentions a subscription so obviously he's aiming to generate income the same as Tivo does.

any ozzies care to comment? also... what is happening in other countries?

... bandwidth rant

Just give me bandwidth and some good software so I don't even need a tivo, hehe. sigh... yet again i'm held in check by monopolies *cough* (read: Telecom). Bandwidth in New Zealand (and australia despite what some people say) is terrible compared to many other parts of the world (particularly asia, europe, canada, etc) but even still, i'd surely participate in pirating content or using a (realistic) paid national or international video on demand service.

anyway back to subtitles, Having lived in a foreign country I can testify to the need for subtitles, I like DVD for that, hell even for british film I need subtitles, lol. Just a useful feature I think anyway, much more useful for foreigners or foreign film lovers but even still.

number6
01-06-2004, 07:39 AM
..late night rant

anyone else find it annoying we don't have subtitles (captioning) on sky. Fast-forwarding with subtitles would be goood methinks :cool:

I know there is a public quoto for captioning in NZ on the broadcasted channels which are carried by sky yet the captioning service isn't provided.

doh, is it too much to ask for teletext online? hehe

Well, if you have a UK Tivo, then your Tivo will capture the Captioning info output by the Free-to-air [UHF/VHF] stations.
Currently that means TV1,2 and 3 only on VHF/UHF only.

But it does work.
However, when you fast forward, the caption information is not displayed so the idea of being able to speed read the news doesn't work.
Which is a pity as it works ok in the US Tivos with their captioning system.
[which is not Teletext].

Must be a difference between the UK and US software in the Tivo.

Note: The latest UK software version has removed this record subtitles feature as apparently it can and has, made some (new) TVs crash!

hmm would using teletext data be more of a violation than Sky's guide data? Personally I think sky is crap for trying to claim it as their own. stupid... In reality if the channel themselves provide the information such is the case with BBC then they obviously don't own it. BBC is forward thinking in that aspect as with their efforts to make parts of their archive available online. anyway... there are all sorts of political questions with that presumeably.

It would be nice if Sky output the caption information like they do Teletext for TV1 2 & 3 now.

Or even better, activate the captioning system capabilities that their decoder supports like most other countries do now.

Even better still, roll on Digital Terrestrial TV so that the Sky monopoly on TV can be broken. There nothing like real competition to make one smarten ones act up.

thomson
01-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Well, if you have a UK Tivo, then your Tivo will capture the Captioning info output by the Free-to-air [UHF/VHF] stations. Currently that means TV1,2 and 3 only on VHF/UHF only. But it does work.

Just a little note to say that my UK TiVo running v2.5.5 is either not passing Teletext information through the RF Output or that my TV is not picking up on the Teletext signals. It does however pass the ClosedCaption information (Teletext pg 801) as well as record it within programmes. So while it is possible to view CC/subtitles when viewing recorded shows, it is not possible to view other Teletext pages.