PDA

View Full Version : CacheCard - Unusual error

pjpete
29-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Just installed the CacheCard with a 512MB RAM Module, and when the Tivo reboots it displays the normal Tivo starting up logo, then it swaps to a Cachecard (SiliconDust) screen, which has the following error "Invalid Root Partition", it then continues on as per normal into the TiVo interface

It stopped my TiVo from running any To Do lists, or Scheduled program recording, or TiVo suggestions from appearing. A quick re-run of the guided setup seemed to have rectified this problem, and it runs as it should now. the message still appears when you reboot the TiVo, but I ignore it as the system works just fine.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this particular issue and if they also ignore it?

petestrash
29-05-2006, 05:52 PM
How did you install the cachecard drivers ?

Peter

pjpete
04-06-2006, 02:22 PM
How did you install the cachecard drivers ?

Peter

Howdy,

I used the image disk and installed them that way. Just took the networking option and selected CacheCard. It has no problems (as far as I can tell) with communications. I get an IP address (DHCP), I get connectivity and it downloads as it should. It's just upon startup that the error appears.

However I have noticed something unusual now, it seems to record at the wrong time every now and again. Not always though. It may be scheduled to record at 7:30pm on the comedy Channel, but it records at 9:30pm instead (as mentioned not always)

Cheers
Pete

petestrash
04-06-2006, 06:42 PM
The OzTiVo installer should be fine as long as you are already running r1.4 or r1.5. The main concern is not to use the SiliconDust installer as it damages the oztivo image.

When the Silicon Dust splash screen is shown, do you also see the progress bar for caching and writing to the RAM?

Have you tried removing the RAM and see if you still have the same error message. Some 512mb stick have been known to be incompatible.

I think the time problem is unrelated, though interesting. I would be interested to hear how you narrow it down.

Peter.

pjpete
04-06-2006, 09:13 PM
The OzTiVo installer should be fine as long as you are already running r1.4 or r1.5. The main concern is not to use the SiliconDust installer as it damages the oztivo image..

Running 1.4, certainly found all the *DO NOT USE* for the silicon dust installers :)

When the Silicon Dust splash screen is shown, do you also see the progress bar for caching and writing to the RAM? .

Negative do not see this. Just the error message then onto the main TiVo splash screen

Have you tried removing the RAM and see if you still have the same error message. Some 512mb stick have been known to be incompatible.

Will do this tomorrow and check out the results. Have got a standard Kingston RAM module inserted, may try and find another one of different manufacturer.

petestrash
04-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Negative do not see this. Just the error message then onto the main TiVo splash screen

Then the cachecard is not actually caching anything, just acting as a network card. :(

Also check your rc.sysinit file. do a search for the term 'cachectl'. in early 1.4 versions there was a mistake and the line had 'cachectl -t -p 0:10' which was used in old images, but no longer works with the current drivers.

If you have this command, replace it with just cachectl -t

Peter.

pjpete
05-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Update
More of an update than anything else as I can't find another 512MB stick lying around (most unusual for me)

So here are some bits of info that may be important

Silicon Dust Cache Card screen reads as follows

Driver: 20050218|20050218
Error: invalid root partition table
512MB DIMM Detected

------------------------------
Have re-run the network setup again using Installer image 1.4 and it says it will modify as such

#!/bin/sh
#configured by oztivo boot cd
#Network Interface Card type: Cachecard
if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/turbonet2.o macaddr=00:0B:AD:A0:0A:1D debuglevel=0 ; then
export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0
mkdir -p /var/state/dhcp
/sbin/dhclient -q eth0 2>/dev/null &
fi

I am concerned about this bit /lib/modules/turbonet2.o because in the "Known Issues of Splash screen not working correctly with cachecard " there is a fix like this /lib/modules/cachecard.o (note: not relevant to problem, but interesting to know there is another module that could be loaded)

1) Is it ok to change this to cachecard ?
2) Where should I be changing this ?

pjpete
06-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Update
More of an update than anything else as I can't find another 512MB stick lying around (most unusual for me)

Further Update . . .

Checked to make sure that the RAM was compatible (thanks for reminding me to check petestrash) and it is fine, Kingston 512Mb PC133 SDRAM DIMM.

Noticed the Link light and Cache light not coming on at all with the cachecard so I suspect a faulty piece of hardware. Put the old turbonet card back in and all is back to normal, with link light appaearing instantly.

Am sending the unit back to get checked with supplier (top guy but won't mention here just in case of blatant plugs) and hopefully this was the reason for the pain.

petestrash
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you've narrowed it down.

Did you ever try it without any ram attached ?

Peter.

pjpete
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Did you ever try it without any ram attached ?

Yep, did that and thats when it started to play up even more (purely coincidence I am sure).

petestrash
06-06-2006, 01:52 PM
That's not right it should just display an error about no memory detected, but still work fine as only a network card.

Let us know how the swap goes when you get a replacement card back.

Peter.

pjpete
06-06-2006, 07:58 PM
That's not right it should just display an error about no memory detected, but still work fine as only a network card. Let us know how the swap goes when you get a replacement card back.
Peter.

I decided to retrace my steps and go over everything slowly.

1. Ran the OztiVo installer again
2. Selected my primary disk
3. Selected my secondary disk
4. Joined the two disks together as one
5. Changed network card to CacheCard
6. Restarted TiVo, and what do you know . . .

It worked! (well second reboot it did anyway) first reboot showed "Driver failed to load" second one did the right thing and loaded the drivers properly, and all is working perfectly. (rebooted 2 more times just to make sure)

Here is the bit I think went wrong first time. I never selected the two disks and joined them BEFORE I configured the network card. I did it the other way around.

Lesson: Read instructions carefully.

Thank you for your help though, made me check things I didn't pick up first few times.

petestrash
06-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Glad to hear you sorted it out yourself.

Reboot's should take much longer now while the cache is loaded and verified.

Peter.