PDA

View Full Version : Sky's falling...

waynez
30-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Got this of the web.....

Seems to be a major failure of the backup SCP on OPTUS B1 (SKY's satellite)
they have been running on this backup control computer for the last "X"
months

As it has now failed (not officially confirmed yet) say goodbye to Sky tv
for at least a week until the move a backup into place. Some of you with the
new dual sky lnbfs may get some sort of backup service via a 2nd satellite.
But very few people have had these dual sat lnbs installed.

DO NOT BOTHER RINGING SKY THEY CAN''T send someone up to the satellite its
beyond their control.

www.apsattv.com
:eek:

waynez
30-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I've got a weeks worth of programming on mysky....so thought sweet!!!

I got 1/2 way through a recorded pgm, now a message appears "no satellite
signal is being received .sky pvr requires a signal to be able to play back
programs"

Sky are a bunch of Wankers for blocking playback of recorded pgms when their
satellite is down.

dyrplq
30-03-2006, 06:44 PM
This isn't just MySky users. Sky is OFF AIR altogether. Bugger. Might as well turn my Tivo off as well then.

waynez
30-03-2006, 07:40 PM
??? Confused ???

Darren King
30-03-2006, 09:34 PM
I got 1/2 way through a recorded pgm, now a message appears "no satellite
signal is being received .sky pvr requires a signal to be able to play back
programs" Sky are a bunch of Wankers for blocking playback of recorded pgms when their satellite is down.

Yep. Foxtel (in Australia) do something similar if you don't have a valid service with their "IQ" hard disk recorder receiver.

Just FYI, Sky is off B1 satellite along with quite a few Australian feeds too:

http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb1.html

It was bound to happen soon. B1 was launched in 1992 so that is 14 year service. About the average lifespan of a Hughes satellite.

Edit: Looks like all is not lost: http://www.skytv.co.nz/index.cfm?pageid=469&script=newsrelease&dsp=nr&newsid=196&nrcontent=0

But still, with the primary SCP being dead for almost a year and a major hiccup like this then the timing of getting Optus D1 satellite into orbit by mid this year to replace B1 is critical. Let's just hope it don't get delayed.... or worse still the payload rocket blows up on launch like it did with Optus B2 many years ago :(

zollymonsta
30-03-2006, 10:33 PM
This isn't just MySky users. Sky is OFF AIR altogether. Bugger. Might as well turn my Tivo off as well then.

Sky UHF is still working. :rolleyes: Hehe

thomson
31-03-2006, 06:41 AM
I think Darren might be getting a few tuner installer requests :)

MrGadget
31-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Sky is back up - a big relief when you rely on it for all recordings!

Sky's web site had a media release stating that "SOLAR ECLIPSE INTERFERES WITH SATELLITE RESTORATION" - interesting read.... I wonder just how true it all is...

waynez
31-03-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't know squat about Satellites but how about this.

Why would you try to move your satellite on or around the time of a solar eclipse. Even I would check the weather forecast before painting my roof. :) :)

If a solar ecilpse only lasts a few minutes, how could the batteries have drained that quickly, and then take another 12 hours to recharge.

Hows does a solar eclipse on the other side of the world even affect us?

Mmmm, I wonder... a satellite thats 14years old with a lifespan of 10years, maybe it's time is up.....

zollymonsta
31-03-2006, 11:30 AM
The fun part is.. Solar outages occur next week, for a week. Though most likely should not affect Sky.

Sky is back up - a big relief when you rely on it for all recordings!

Sky's web site had a media release stating that "SOLAR ECLIPSE INTERFERES WITH SATELLITE RESTORATION" - interesting read.... I wonder just how true it all is...

Darren King
31-03-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't know squat about Satellites but how about this. Why would you try to move your satellite on or around the time of a solar eclipse. Even I would check the weather forecast before painting my roof. :) :)

I think whoever wrote that report is either dumbing down, misinformed or misquoted something else. Solar eclipses wouldn't do it EXCEPT if the batteries were that stuffed any interruption of sunlight is bad news. If this is indeed the case then B1 is on very borrowed time indeed. At any rate if the batteries were stuffed then you would be getting signal outages very frequently as the Earth shadows the Sun for the satellite.

On the other hand a solar flare would impede a satellite signal, and does regularly. I guess bad timing that a random solar flare would interfere with a manouvere procedure given that neither happens very often. Solar flares also weaken electronics over time. It really is a harsh environment up there!

Hows does a solar eclipse on the other side of the world even affect us?

As you probably know it is the moon that causes the blocking of the Sun for us mortals on Earth. Well, for a satellite it is not only the moon, but Earth as well - and these are at totally different times given the satellite's position in space relative to either.

Mmmm, I wonder... a satellite thats 14years old with a lifespan of 10years, maybe it's time is up.....

It is. Optus B1 and B3 are "hand me down" satellites which used to be used for Australia only (B3 was our pay TV bird until we got C1). 14 years dodging space junk and solar flares is doing really well.

jaidev
31-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Optus B1 is already on a backup satellite control processor after it's primary failed last year.
Say if Optus B1 gave out all together tomorrow or in the short term (which is a likely situation given it's track record) it will take at least 2 weeks to get another satellite up, ready and in position. That's a pretty bad position to be in, Sky had better hope B1 lasts till D1 is launched or have a backup for their backup ready to flick the switch on...

....but wouldn't you think they would switch to their backup, backup given the events of yesterday, kind of makes you think that they currently have no contingency plan (backup for their backup) till D1 is launched. Very BAD!

Darren King
31-03-2006, 08:26 PM
The contingency is to switch to Optus B3 if anything goes drastically wrong with B1 for the time being until D1 goes into orbit. Not that hard to do as they only have to push B3 over by 8 degrees to move it into B1's position.

Transponder space will be tight and some non service critical feeds may have to be juggled, but the majority of the Australian services on B3 can be switched over to C1 anyway as it has a fair bit of capacity.

Would take a few days tops to move it all around.

jaidev
31-03-2006, 09:57 PM
aww I was enjoying the Sky bashing... :P

heh this is a good read almost as good as the time machine
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs-projectors/Other/auction-52360702.htm